ENGLISH CORNER

16/10/12

The power of a photograph


After the atomic bomb exploded in Hiroshima in 1945, Harbert F. Austin Jr. took a photo of the city remains covering all 360º.
In it we can see a dramatic scene about the effect of a war which destroyed a whole city and most of the people who were in it, although they were innocent.
It's apowerful and striking photograph because it shows us how devasting the attack was, that it only left mounts of trash.
In this part of the image there are a few people walking through a road surrounded by the ruins. I think this makes the place even lonelier because they may have returned to observe the rests where they used to live or to try to recognize something,but they don't really expect anything, they know that they won't find anything in good condition or alive,and it makes it look empty and sad.
There are the ruins of some buildings which stand out against the unrecognizable burned wooden houses. In this photo we can't see it, but the radiation left marks on some of the walls and if there were people in front of them (facing the explosion) they left their figure on the wall, what is quite disturbing.
This (...) is the Genbaku Dome. It's the emblem of the disaster because it was the nearest building to the explosion.
Well, about why I chose this photo, only because I searched on Google a photo with its author and I got this one which covered all 360º and I found it curious and unusual. But after I finished writing the summary of what I'd say, I think I understand a bit of the suffering that wars can cause.
Marina Navarro
4t B

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario